Welcome to the Small Business and Real Estate Guide. Learn more about Money, Economics, Finance and How to Start and Manage a Business.
Starting a Business articles answer all of your questions about how you can start your own business.
- How Business Legal Structures Work
C-corporations, S-corporations, limited liability companies, sole proprietorships, partnerships... These are just a few of the legal structures utilized in the business world, and each one has different legal and financial ramifications.
- How Creating an Online Business Works
What does it take to put together a nice and effective e-commerce Web site? Is it a lot of money? Sometimes. Is it a lot of skill? Many times. Is it a lot common sense and lot of patience? Always!
- How Finding Office Space Works
A freelancer in need of creative space? The boss of a new business? Either way, you need of place to put your desk.
- How Franchising Works
Want to be your own boss? Franchising gives you the opportunity to own your own business while skipping some of the more detailed steps. Learn all about franchising and how you can become an owner.
- How Marketing Plans Work
Marketing plans are a must if you want your product or service to reach a broad audience. Learn about positioning, placement, and everything else that goes into a professional marketing plan.
- How Start-Up Capital Works
When you're starting a business, capital is the long and short of it. You've got to spend money to make money, but before you can spend it you have to acquire it.
- Sample Forms
In order to make sure you're on the path to success you need to have all of your business forms and documents in order. Check out our collection of business forms you can use to help get your business in order.
- How Business Ideas Work
Business ideas require a great deal of planning in order to bring them to life. Do you know what it takes to start a successful business? Learn about business ideas and how to turn a business idea into a working business.
- How Business Plans Work
Now that you've decided you want to start your own business, you need to figure out a play of how to cover all of your bases before you take the plunge. A good business plan can help you organize your new business. Find out how to create a business plan.
- How does venture capital work?
Venture capital is the first step to setting up a new business. Learn about venture capital and how to acquire it.
If you are a subscriber to the LibGuides product and would like to add this guide to your own LibGuides system - here are instructions on how to do that. Feel free to use the guides as a whole, individual pages or modules as you'd like. No attribution necessary. We hope you find these resources helpful!
- Login to your Libguides admin interface
- Click on "Create New Guide"
- Select "Use a guide from another institution as a template"
- Enter the URL of this guide (or the one you want to use): http://hsw.libguides.com/small-business-guide
- Enter the new title and description you want to use for your guide - i.e. you might call it "Animals Guide" instead of "HowStuffWorks Animals Guide". (feel free to keep the description that comes with the guide if you want or change it)
- Click on "Create New Guide" button
- Click "ok" to the alert message that it will be emailing us to let us know you are using the guide (we don't mind)
- Your new guide is created and the guide has been copied over to your system. You can now enhance the guide with your own local content, modules, pages, etc. or feel free to move around, rename or delete any of the pages, modules, etc. you need to.
- Economics Guide
Learn more about how the world of money works and economic fundamentals. Find answers to your questions about recessions, what an economy is, how money is made, budgeting and saving, credit, types of businesses and more.
- Elections & Politics Guide
Brush up on your knowledge about the presidential candidates, the debates, electoral college or the voting system with the Elections & Politics Guide.